Outlook 2011 cannot send to contact groups after latest update

After the latest update to Outlook 2011 (14.3.2), Mac users are unable to send emails to contact groups. They receive this error:

EmailAddress or ItemId must be included in the request.

I haven’t seen a fix or workaround from Microsoft yet.

Update 3/25/2013: A recent update to Outlook 2011 added the ability to expand a contact group into its constituent members after you’ve added it to the To field. (You’ve always been able to do that in the Windows version.) This is a decent workaround until the root problem is fixed.

Apple external hard drives
Apple
External
Hard Drives

12 responses to “Outlook 2011 cannot send to contact groups after latest update”

1. Jason says:

I am having this problem at my school district. Do you know of anywhere I can check to see if the problem gets resolved?

2. jay c says:

Hi Jason. The Office for Mac forums are probably the best place, though you’ll have to hunt for it. You can also subscribe at the top of the right-hand column. I’ll send out an update when I hear something.

3. Steven Revels says:

Yeah, it seems to either be an update to Outlook 2011.
    We just deployed a handful of new Macs in our department and those are the only ones who cannot send to their Contact Groups, they can once they expand the entire list.

Prior they could just type in the name of their Contact Group and no problem.

Have been hunting for a solution, so far nothing. Hopefully a patch comes out quickly.

4. Ben Blake says:

i cannot send emails to my contact groups, but expanding the contact list does not resolve the problem. Any suggestions?

5. jay c says:

Hi Ben. What happens after you expand the contact group? Does Outlook give you an error when you try to send to the expanded individual recipients?

6. Allen J Price says:

@Jay C – I’m experiencing a similar issue to Ben Blake. When I expand the contact group and attempt to send the message, I get this error: “A message could not be sent. The message could not be sent because it has unresolved recipients.”

I’ve deleted and recreated the contact group, to no avail. I’ve manually put entered the addresses for each member of the contact group into a new message- that allowed the message to send, but is hardly a viable solution. 🙂

In a fit of desperation, I rebuilt the Identity for my outlook profile; that didn’t seem to help in this case, either.

Anything I might do, or should I just sit by and wait for the May update to roll around?

7. jay c says:

Allen, if your contact group was imported from Mac Mail, it could be a difference in the way that Outlook formats multiple addresses. I would think Outlook 2011 would be smart enough to compensate for this, but it seems to be the red-headed step child of the Microsoft Office world. It doesn’t get nearly the time and attention it needs from Microsoft. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Make sure that each recipient is separated by a semi-colon and not a comma or space.
    2. Make sure that all of the addresses in the Contact Group are valid and correctly formatted.
    3. Double-click on each recipient to “re-resolve” the address.

8. jay c says:

A couple more suggestions if your email is hosted on an Exchange server:

4. Save the message to your drafts folder. Log into your organization’s OWA site, and send the message from OWA.
    5. Recreate the contact group from within OWA and then use the newly created group (it should be in both OWA and Outlook 2011) instead of the one that was only in Outlook 2011.

9. Andy Eddy says:

I’ve had this problem, too, but I’ve found if you expand the list *and* double-click each person’s entry (to expand each entry to “name [e-mail]” where the square brackets are less-than and greater-than signs) and then hit Send, the message will go out without error. I just did that now for a message I had this problem with, and it was sent successfully. Hopefully Microsoft will fix the issue in a near-future update, but this is the workaround for now.

• Tom says:

Thank you for this suggestion. I have tried every other idea on the forums, but nothing worked–until I tried this. Worked like a charm! Ridiculous to have to resort to this, but relieved to get the group email out! Again, thank you!

10. Bill says:

I wouldn’t call this a decent work around. As usual, Microsoft doesn’t test changes before deployment. They put out poorly written code and plan on fixing whatever breaks later. Here we are weeks later and still no fix.

11. john says:

has there been a fix yet to avoid double clicking each contact in the group?